This year marks the end of the second decade of the 2000s. In honor of this, we thought we’d take a look back at our decade with an end-of-year series.
The internet loves lists, especially year-end ones, and we’ll feed that love a little bit this December. We’ll be hosting seven lists of expert Decade-Best picks. We’ve done movies, games, writing, TV, and music, and you can look forward to one more surprise list at the end. Our experts include philosophers and other academics whose work concerns these topics, and people working in the relevant media. Up today: art!
Okay so obviously movies and music are art, but what we mean by “art” today is arty art, that special kind of artworld art that’s in galleries and art fairs and museums, and attended to by art magazines and news outlets. We’re looking at photography, painting, video art, performance art, and more.
Let’s see what this decade’s highlights were in art!
Our contributors are:
- Gemma Argüello Manresa, curator and lecturer at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- Margo Handwerker, curator and gallery director at Texas State Galleries
- Sarah Hegenbart, lecturer in Art History at the Technical University of Munich
- Alex King, assistant professor in Philosophy at SUNY Buffalo
- Daniel Star, associate professor in Philosophy at Boston University